• Lazy Andy

Some of the Hardware...

With the lacquer setting nicely on the headstock I went and ordered up some of the hardware needed to make the next steps.


First up were some machine heads. I kept close to the original format but without incurring the Fender price tag. These are Gotoh SG series tuners with oval keys, which look very similar to the originals.



Unlike the original Fender versions they don’t have a locating pin which makes for a much more straightforward install!


Installation is simply a case of installing the ferrule, poking the spindle through from the rear and then tightening the nuts. Once they’re all in and done up finger tight you can put a flat edge across the bottom of the tuners and level them up. Keep it there and tighten the nut all the way.



Once in position its a case of drilling a small, 1.5mm pilot hole and then putting the retaining screws in. Word of warning, any screw this size seems to have the mechanical properties of sand... so go carefully if you ever plan on wanting to remove the screws again!


Last item on the headstock was one string T. This vintage style Tele version was in my parts box and I think they look great. As before, drilling a 1.5mm pilot hole is the key to successfully screwing the little self taping screws into the headstock.


Last time I changed the strings on my Jaguar I remembered to put them aside so That I could use them for little set up bits like this - hence the unsightly punk style string excess! Two strings install, centre punch a hole in the desired location and drill, screw and align.


Headstock done.


At this point, that 35 year old body did technically play a note or two for the first time in a couple of years - but I can’t say they were that memorable!


Moving down to to the other end. I’ve bought a typical 250k tone pot, 0.047 capacitor and a S-1 volume pot to add a bit of extra choice into the mix. I have a generic push / pull on my parts Strat which switches allows all of the pickups to be switched on but I’m aware that the S-1 is more than just a one trick pony, so I’m looking forward to experimenting with that set up.


Firstly to mount. Having chewed through the first pickguard with a wonky drill bit I remembered I had some cone bits. This was great at slowly and accurately opening the holes up to 10mm for the pot shafts.


Now, me and the S-1 switch haven’t got off to the best of starts!


I tried the cap on the switch before installing and try as I might I couldn’t get the switch to click. I poked a match down the hole and that works but not the intended cap. What I believe should happen is the hollow shaft of the cap is supposed to fit over the switch pin and have enough of a hold to stop it falling out and be located high enough to have enough travel to move the switch.



On further review, I think I bought a solid shaft version that is used on Tele’s which in turn uses a metal knob and a slightly different button. Decided to pop that on eBay and instead use a simple push - push pot as this better suited the planned pick-ups.




2 views

©2019 by Atelier SHED.